Saturday, April 16, 2011

Beer Buttercream Frosting

I was asked to make an Anniversary cake (Poker Chip Cake) and they wanted me to make Beer Buttercream Frosting.  I honestly had never heard of it, so I went in search of a recipe (I cut this recipe in half).  This recipe calls for:

2 cups unsalted butter (room temp)
5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 whole scraped vanilla bean
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups Guinness Extra Stout Beer                             
First, you need to reduce the beer by boiling it under low heat.  This recipe stated 10-15 minutes, but it took me a lot longer (maybe I didn't have the heat high enough?).  Once that is done, you will be left with about 2 tablespoons of a syrupy liquid (see below).  Set it aside to cool.

Next, cream the butter in a mixer for about a minute.  Start adding the powdered sugar, a little at a time, alternating with a little milk to keep it creamy.

Add the scraped vanilla bean (I left this part out) and vanilla extract.

Slowly add the reduced beer a little at a time.  Taste test to the desired strength.  I ended up using all of it. 
I have to say, I was a little curious wondering what the result was going to be.  I personally don't like beer, but I was shocked how good this tasted.  It's hard to describe, but it has a really nice flavor to it....goes VERY nicely with chocolate cake too!!

3 comments:

  1. My beer never became syrupy like. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a long time for it to turn syrupy...I thought it would never get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of making a recipe similar to this one, thanks doing it for me!

    ReplyDelete