Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pizza anyone?



About a year and a half ago, I made hamburger "cakes" for my oldest son's birthday.  Going on that same food theme, we decided to make a pizza "cake" for my middle son's 10th birthday.  I'm really happy with how this turned out...even though I had made it myself and knew it wasn't real, every time I caught sight of it I had to laugh at how real it looked!


The "crust" was made with a big chocolate chip cookie...not the most convincing crust, but we had to compromise for taste.  The "sauce" is just red frosting and the "cheese" is Wilton Candy Melts.  I made the "pepperoni" out of fondant.  First, I dyed the fondant a pinkish color, cut into circles and curled up the edges before laying them out to dry.  Once they were dry, I painted them dark orange, bronze and then brown using airbrush colors.  I then blotted them to give them a mottled look like cooked pepperoni.  


This was a fun "cake" to make and it tasted really good too!!  I can definitely see doing this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment